Friday, July 1, 2011

Delerium Tremens

I first had this beer years ago during my senior year in High School when I went on a trip with a few of friends to Brussels. I was living in the Netherlands at the time, so it really wasn't that far out of the way (or that expensive) a proposition, especially since the entire point of the trip was going to be drinking copious amount of alcohol. Rather than bar hop around the town, we pretty much only drank at two bars, Delerium Cafe, and their sister store across the street Floris Bar (unfortunately the site is offline). This however, was not a problem as Delerium holds the Guinness world record for most available beers and Floris sells 30+ types of Absinthe.

Anyway, not really going to talk much about that night, besides the fact that I enjoyed myself and between the six of us, we tried over 30 different types of beer. One of those beers, was Delerium Tremens, one of the cafe's  own brews. At the time that tried it, I had not seen it anywhere before and it really was a "local" secret if you will, but in the interim, it has exploded and you can know find it everywhere. This change, is not unwarranted though.

This is one of my favourite beers and I recommend it to everyone, regardless of what type of beers you like to drink, (I haven't met a person who I've introduced it too, who hasn't liked it). It may be a bit pricey in your location, but regardless this is a beer to splurge. Highly recommended.

YEAR: 2011
ABV: 8.5%
POUR: from 33cl bottle into Guiness Glass

COLOUR: light golden (transparent), little bubbles continued rising through out the drink
HEAD: white, big bubbles, fairly large 1.5” (mostly dissipated quickly, ring around the edge never goes)

SMELL: sweet, fermented apple (cider)
TASTE:
(initial taste) fermented apple taste
medium body, not very fruity
(aftertaste) sweet, lesser version of the same flavour

No comments:

Post a Comment